Top 8-Free Crispy Avocado Tacos
Black beans and slaw are the perfect match for crunchy, creamy deep-fried avocados in these delicious plant-based tacos. Our slaw is a from-scratch recipe, but to save on time, you can substitute 3 1/2 cups coleslaw mix for the cabbages and carrot. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 8 tacos
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Sweet & Tangy Slaw
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced radish
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeño
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Canola oil or other high-heat oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour (such as Namaste Foods), divided
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup allergy-friendly panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk beverage, plus additional if needed
- 2 medium avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced into 16 long wedges
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 soft corn tortillas, warmed
- Fresh cilantro
- For slaw, in a large bowl, combine cabbages, radish, carrot and green onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, jalapeño, garlic and salt. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For fried avocados, fill a deep fryer with oil, or a large pot with 4-6 inches oil, and preheat to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup flour, cornmeal, panko, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Add milk beverage and whisk to combine. If batter thickens too much, whisk in 1 more tablespoon hemp milk.
- In a small bowl, gently toss avocados with remaining 1/4 cup flour.
- Dunk each avocado wedge into batter and let excess batter drip off. Fry for 2-3 minutes per batch, or until crisp and golden. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain.
- To assemble tacos, top each tortilla with beans, 2 fried avocado wedges and slaw.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes