Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake with Ganache
The perfect chocolate cake – always a crowd-pleaser. Ours is free of all top allergens and gluten. Simple to make, and so delicious. See related article: Simplifying Your Gluten-Free Pantry!
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Makes: 9 servings
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (136 g / 4.8 oz) sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup (27 g / .95 oz) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 cup (40 g / 1.4 oz) teff flour
- 1/4 cup (30 g / 1 oz) tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water (see Recipe Tips)
- 3 tbsp mild olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups allergy-friendly semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dairy-free milk beverage
To double the recipe, use two 9-inch round or 8-inch square cake pans (but not a 9x13-inch).
For a richer chocolate taste, use 1/2 cup coffee and 1/2 cup water in place of the 1 cup of water. You won’t notice the coffee, and it will boost the flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients in a liquid measuring cup. Add this to dry mixture. Stir until well-mixed. Scrape mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing evenly.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes, until a toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To finish, put chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat milk beverage in a small saucepan until steaming. Pour over chocolate chips. Let stand for 5 minutes, then stir until the chocolate has melted. Let cool for 10 minutes, then pour over the cake.
- Serve, storing leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days in the fridge.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.