Curried Red Lentil Stew
- 1‚ÅÑ4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, diced
- 2 hot chili peppers, seeds removed, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups (475 mL) red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp each, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds
[Substitute: use ½ tsp more of cumin seeds]
- 1‚ÅÑ2 tsp each, coriander seeds, whole cloves
- 1-inch of a cinnamon stick
- 4 cups (950 mL) vegetable stock [Look for allergen-free, g-f brands]
- Salt and pepper
Great served with rice on its own. Or make as a side dish.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring often, 4-6 minutes.
- Add chili peppers, garlic and ginger, stir to combine and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in turmeric and lentils. Reduce heat to simmer.
- In a separate pan, over medium heat, toast dry spices together, stirring often for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat to spice grinder. Grind into a fine powder.
- Add spice mix to vegetables along with stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender (15-18 minutes).
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes