Chocolate Pudding Ice Cream
The richness of this chocoholic’s dream is reminiscent of frozen pudding. We like the milky consistency best when packed and frozen for just a few hours but you can also let it soften on the counter for 10 minutes if it has chilled for longer.
Makes: approximately 1 quart
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 4 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch or tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup + 1 1/4 cup (60 mL + 310 mL) plain dairy-free milk beverage (your choice: rice, flax, etc.)
- 1 1/2 cup (350 mL) full-fat canned coconut milk* (2-4 tablespoons less than a full 14 oz can)
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) cane sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- 3 oz (84 g) dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (scant 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
*A Note on Coconut Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
- Whisk the starch and 1/4 cup dairy-free milk beverage in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put remaining 1 1/4 cup dairy-free milk beverage, coconut milk, sugar and maple syrup or honey in a saucepan. Sift in cocoa powder.
- Whisk, while bringing the mixture to a slow boil over medium heat. Allow to boil for 3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Whisk the reserved starch mixture, and then whisk it into the mixture in your saucepan. Cook, while whisking, until thickened to a rich, creamy consistency, about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in chocolate chips, salt and vanilla until completely smooth.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before pouring the mixture into a container (I use a quart-sized or large glass measuring cup). Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Churn the chilled mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Pack the soft ice cream in a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 3 hours for hard-packed ice cream.
See also: Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes