Allergy-Friendly BLT Potato Skins With Egg-Free Chili-Lime Mayo
These BLT potato skins are bound to be a crowd-pleaser at your Super Bowl party. While mayo can sometimes be a minefield of allergens like egg or soy, our dressing is not only Top-8 free, but delightfully flavorful.
Plus, see plenty more great Super Bowl party ideas here.
Makes: 16 potato skins and 1/2 cup of dip
Both recipes free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 8 medium (6 oz) russet potatoes
- 8 slices of bacon
- 4 small to medium avocados, pitted and peeled
- 4 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp + 3/4-1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- Allergy friendly cooking oil spray
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- ½ cup vegan, soy-free or regular mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Scrub potatoes and prick several times with a fork. Place potatoes directly on oven racks. Bake for 50 minutes or until tender. Let potatoes cool for 15 minutes.
- Lay bacon in a single·layer in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, turning slices as needed, until browned, 15-20 minutes. Remove bacon to paper towels and let cool 10 minutes. Crumble bacon into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to smash avocado with lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and baking soda until well combined.
- Slice each cooled potato in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh, leaving about 1/4-inch border. Reserve the potato flesh for another use.
- Spray the potato skins, inside and outside, with oil and evenly sprinkle with 3/4-1 teaspoon salt and black pepper (if using). Place them skin side up on a baking sheet and broil for 3 minutes. Flip and broil for 3 minutes more, or until very lightly browned.
- Evenly spread avocado mixture inside the potato skin. Broil for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle bacon pieces on the avocado mixture and top with lettuce and diced tomato and drizzle with chili-lime mayo.
- Place mayonnaise, lime juice chili powder, salt and garlic powder in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes