U.S. Colleges Directory: Comparing Food Allergy & GF Policies–Maryland

in College Directory
Published: November 22, 2016

Maryland For the complete directory of states and colleges, click here.

University of Maryland

Disability Services
  1. Doctor’s note with medical documentation required for accommodations?
    Yes, doctor’s note with medical documentation required for accommodations.
  2. Paperwork filed with disabilities office required for accommodations?
    Yes, if paperwork filed with Disabilities Office, then required for accommodations.
  3. Food allergy fair or similar event at start of year?

Dining Services
  1. Dietitian or dining services staff available for a meeting before applying?
    Yes, dietitian or dining services staff is available for a meeting before applying.
  2. Is ingredient or allergen information onsite/online?
    Yes, ingredient and allergen information is available at: m.nutrition.umd.edu
  3. Dining staff trained regularly on food allergy, celiac disease, cross-contact?
    Yes, dining staff is trained regularly on food allergy, celiac, cross-contact.
  4. Pre-made allergy-friendly meals available?
    Yes. For pre-made allergy-friendly meals, students can write a weekly menu that the chef will prepare specially for them.
  5. Ingredient substitutions available?
    Yes, available.
  6. Separate utensils and separate area in kitchen for
    food allergy/celiac orders?

    Yes, separate utensils and area in the kitchen for allergy/celiac orders.
  7. All dining halls able to accommodate allergies, gluten-free diet?
  8. All retail sites able to accommodate allergies, gluten-free diet?
    Partial; some retail sites are able to accommodate allergies and gluten free.

Residential Housing
  1. Area on housing form to indicate food allergies/celiac disease?
    Yes, housing forms have an area to indicate food allergies/celiac. Summer camp forms have an area to indicate as well.
  2. Resident Assistants trained on allergic reactions, auto-injector administration?
    No, RAs are not trained on allergic reactions or epinephrine administration.
  3. On-campus residence required in first year?
    Yes, on-campus residence is required in first year, with exception of commuters.
  4. Meal plans required if in on-campus housing?
    Yes, required with on-campus housing.
  5. Possible to group food allergy students as roommates?
    The grouping of food allergy students as roommates can be done with residence life director.
  6. Microwaves/mini-fridge allowed in rooms?
    Yes, microwaves/mini-fridge allowed.
  7. Room with kitchenette available, even if freshman?
    In the resident halls, there is a floor kitchenette for all residents to share.