Wild Mushroom and Chive Risotto Cakes
These allergy-friendly Wild Mushroom and Chive Risotto Cakes are an impressively tasty appetizer for a party or for family occasion. Just expect them to disappear quickly!
First, we make little risotto patties, fried to golden brown. Then Chef Simon has us top them with a delicious wild mushroom mixture.
Plus, they make a great, eye-catching plate alongside our Polenta Triangles with Roasted Red Peppers!
Makes: 16-20 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
Ingredients for Mushroom Risotto Cakes
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil + 2 tbsp
- 2 cups (475 mL) arborio rice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chives
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable stock [Look for allergen-free, gluten-free brands]
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms, such as shitake, portobello, oyster, cremini, sliced.
Instructions for Mushroom Risotto Cakes
- In a large heavy bottomed sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir together for 2 minutes. Stir in half of the chicken stock and reduce heat to medium. Cook 5-6 minutes stirring often. Gradually add remaining stock and continue to cook about 15 more minutes. Stir in chives, and refrigerate risotto until cool.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add mushrooms and add salt and pepper. Sauté 4-5 minutes, remove from heat and cool.
- Form risotto into 3-inch patties. In a large pan over medium heat, sauté cakes 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Top with 1 tbsp mushroom mixture, and serve.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.