Easy Allergy-Friendly Fudge
- 3 cups (710 mL)corn-free confectioners’ sugar (Whole Foods 365 brand and Wholesome Sweeteners are both made w/tapioca starch)
- ½ cup (120 mL) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (120 mL) Palm Oil Shortening
- ¼ cup (60 mL) rice milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) Enjoy Life semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Makes: 16 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Line the bottom of an 8x8x2-inch pan with a piece of parchment paper, so that it overlaps on all sides. (This will not work with a non-stick pan!)
- Whisk together confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder, being sure to blend well, breaking up any lumps.
- Combine chocolate chips, shortening, and rice milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 30-second increments, until chips and shortening are melting, stirring every 30 seconds. This will take 60-90 seconds, depending on the power of your microwave. Do not over cook it, chocolate burns easily. It’s best to remove from the microwave while there are still little ‚Äúclouds‚Äù of shortening floating, and the chips have not yet melted completely, you’ll finish the melting process on the counter. Remove from microwave and stir well to encourage the final melting. Stir in vanilla extract and pinch of salt, blending well.
- Add the dry mixture to the liquid, a little at a time, beating well after each addition, breaking up any dry lumps against side of bowl with a spoon or rubber spatula. You want to really work to stir in the last of the dry ingredients. If it seems too moist, add a little more confectioners’ sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Once thoroughly combined, transfer into pan, and use a clean rubber spatula to spread evenly. Press down, pushing fudge into corners of pan. Smooth top. You may also use an offset spatula to get a really smooth finish. Chill ½ an hour. Remove and lift out of pan by holding both sides of parchment firmly. Cut into quarters, then cut quarters into 4 squares each, for a total of 16 pieces of fudge. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes