Top 9-Free Perfectly Braised Brisket
Tender, moist and bathed in a rich pan sauce, our Braised Brisket is aromatic and delicious. And we even offer two tempting ways to make this slow-cooked favorite.
Makes 4-6 servings
Free of gluten and top 9 allergens
Check out the rest of Allergic Living’s holiday recipes here.
- 2 3/4 lbs (1.25 kg) beef brisket
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups allergy-friendly beef broth (see Recipe Tips)
- 8 small shallots, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sprigs of savory or thyme (see Recipe Tips)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
If using sodium-reduced broth, add an extra ½ teaspoon of salt.
The herb savory has notes of marjoram, thyme, mint and a hint of pine. If you can’t locate, the recipe works well with thyme sprigs, too.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Stir salt, ground coriander and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over brisket.
- Heat oil in 12-inch cast iron (or similarly heavy) skillet over medium-high heat. Sear brisket until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Drain fat from skillet and return to heat. Reduce to medium low, add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth, shallots and garlic cloves.
- Nestle brisket in liquid mixture, and add bay leaf and savory (or thyme) sprigs. Cover pan tightly with foil. Roast in center of oven for 1 1/2 hours. Then add carrots and continue roasting, covered, until brisket is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove foil and roast for 30 more minutes.
- Remove brisket and vegetables to serving platter. Place skillet with juices on stovetop over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- In a cup, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Stir into sauce and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Thinly slice brisket. Serve alongside pan sauce.
Want to switch things up? Skip the shallots and carrots. Instead, give a quick boil to 2 cups (9 ounces) of pearl onions, then easily peel. Clean 2 cups (about 8 ounces) of mixed mushrooms. Halve or quarter larger mushrooms. At 2 hours into braising the brisket, add onions and mushrooms. Follow rest of the recipe instructions.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.