Smoky Black Bean Burgers with Egg-Free Chipotle Mayo
Black beans are the legumes that provide a tender bite and hearty flavor in these grill-inspired veggie burgers, which pair perfectly with Seasoned Baby Potatoes Wedges.
The accompanying vegan mayo is just lightly spicy – so if you prefer a bigger kick, increase the chipotle powder. For more timid tastebuds, swap in a mild chili powder.
Makes: 6 veggie burgers
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 15 oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup certified gluten-free quick oats or panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp ground chia seed or flaxseed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (look for allergy-friendly brand)
- 6 allergy-friendly hamburger buns for serving
- Chipotle Mayo (shown at end of Instructions)
- Sprouts, tomato slices and avocado slices or desired toppings
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Drain liquid from black beans into a bowl and reserve. Do not rinse beans. Place beans in another bowl or a food processor, mash or pulse until well mashed but still slightly chunky.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of reserved bean liquid (aquafaba), oats or panko crumbs, ground seeds, salt, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and liquid smoke, until well combined.
- Shape bean mixture into 6 patties, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Let patties rest while preheating oven to 375° F.
- Bake patties for 20 minutes. Flip and bake 10 minutes for softer patties, 20 minutes for dryer, firmer patties.
- Toast hamburger buns and spread with Chipotle Mayo. Place a patty on each bottom bun, add desired toppings, and finish with top bun.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup allergy-friendly mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste), and 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, until well combined.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes