Smoky Black Bean Burgers with Egg-Free Chipotle Mayo
Looking for a meat-free but allergy-friendly burger? Look no further than these tasty Smoky Black Bean Burgers. We developed them with black beans, since the legumes provide a tender bite and hearty flavor, which especially comes out on the barbecue. These veggie burgers pair perfectly with our Seasoned Baby Potatoes Wedges.
The accompanying vegan Chipotle Mayo is just lightly spicy – so if you prefer a bigger kick, increase the chipotle powder. For more timid tastebuds, swap in a mild chili powder. For some inspired burger toppings, see: Allergy-Friendly Burger Condiments.
Makes: 6 black bean burgers
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
For Smoky Black Bean Burgers
- 2 15 oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup certified gluten-free quick oats or panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp ground chia seed or flaxseed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (look for allergy-friendly brand)
- 6 allergy-friendly hamburger buns for serving
- Chipotle Mayo (shown at end of Instructions)
- Sprouts, tomato slices and avocado slices or desired toppings
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Drain liquid from black beans into a bowl and reserve. Do not rinse beans. Place beans in another bowl or a food processor, mash or pulse until well mashed but still slightly chunky.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of reserved bean liquid (aquafaba), oats or panko crumbs, ground seeds, salt, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and liquid smoke, until well combined.
- Shape bean mixture into 6 patties, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Let patties rest while preheating oven to 375° F.
- Bake patties for 20 minutes. Flip and bake 10 minutes for softer patties, 20 minutes for dryer, firmer patties.
- Toast hamburger buns and spread with Chipotle Mayo. Place a patty on each bottom bun, add desired toppings, and finish with top bun.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup allergy-friendly mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste), and 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, until well combined.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.