Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry
This nourishing Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry boasts warm spices and rich flavors. It is wonderfully delicious – and no one will believe that this stew came together in under 30 minutes! Photo: James Tse
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 14 oz fresh cubed butternut squash
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups (350 mL) gluten-free, allergy-friendly chicken broth
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp non-GMO cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups (950 mL) cooked quinoa or rice.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Place chicken in the pan, sprinkle with salt, coriander, garlic powder and onion powder and sauté 5 minutes; it won’t be fully cooked through.
- Stir squash and curry powder into the skillet. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium and cook 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk water and lemon juice with cornstarch until dissolved. Stir into chicken mixture and simmer until thickened to consistency of velvety gravy.
- Stir in peas. Serve atop rice or quinoa.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.