Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry
This nourishing chicken and butternut squash curry boasts warm spices and rich flavors. No one will believe that this stew came together in under 30 minutes. Photo: James Tse
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 14 oz fresh cubed butternut squash
- 1 tbsp curry powder*
- 1 1/2 cups (350 mL) gluten-free, allergy-friendly chicken broth
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp non-GMO cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups (950 mL) cooked quinoa or rice.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Place chicken in the pan, sprinkle with salt, coriander, garlic powder and onion powder and sauté 5 minutes; it won’t be fully cooked through.
- Stir squash and curry powder into the skillet. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium and cook 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk water and lemon juice with cornstarch until dissolved. Stir into chicken mixture and simmer until thickened to consistency of velvety gravy.
- Stir in peas. Serve atop rice or quinoa.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.