Quinoa Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
This versatile Quinoa Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette is a great make-ahead option that can be served heated or chilled. It works as a lunch dish, or as a dinner side or main if served alongside grilled chicken.
Makes: 6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 3 slices of bacon
- 3 cups (710 mL) cooked and cooled tri-color or white quinoa
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp whole-grain mustard (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add bacon. Cook until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add quinoa, beans, bell pepper and green onions to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add lime juice, mustard, chili powder and salt to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add oil in a slow, steady stream while whisking, until emulsified and warm. Crumble cooked bacon and stir into dressing.
- Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and stir to coat. Gently stir in cilantro and serve warm or refrigerate.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes