Mini Burgers with Spicy Mayo and Caramelized Onions
Makes: 4-5 servings
Free of: gluten and all allergens
- 1 1/2 lbs (700 g) ground beef
- 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tbsp water or 1 egg
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) Cybele Pascal’s Rice Milk Mayonnaise or Vegenaise (or similar ‘friendly’ mayo)
- 1 tsp chipotle peppers, pureed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large Spanish or sweet onions, halved and sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Combine all burger ingredients except the vegetable oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Forming 2-inch burgers: Roll approximately 2 tbsp of meat into a ball in your hands, then flatten. Place on a cookie sheet. Continue until all mini patties are formed. Refrigerate.
- Make the spicy mayo: in a small bowl, stir together mayo or alternative, chipotle peppers and lemon juice. Set aside
- For caramelized onions: over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the onions and salt and pepper. Stir together well and reduce temperature to medium-low.
- Continue to cook onions 18-20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from pan and cool.
- Remove raw burgers from fridge. In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked.
- To assemble burgers, use your favorite gluten-free or allergen-free mini buns. Spread mayo on both sides of bun, add one burger and top with a spoonful of caramelized onion. Serve immediately.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.