Hot Chocolate Cookies
These rich, chewy and almost gooey Hot Chocolate Cookies are a delightful indulgence. And they don’t just taste amazing, they’re also allergy-friendly, since the ingredients don’t include top allergens.
Keeping these chocolate cookies crunchy on the outside but “just baked” on the inside works perfectly with the sweet marshmallow topping.
Speaking of diet needs, if gluten is not a concern in your household, simply use an equivalent amount of all-purpose flour in this recipe in place of the brown rice flour.
Makes: 24 cookies
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Ingredients for Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (see Recipe Tips)
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup lightly packed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup mashed ripe avocado
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil (see Tips) or shortening, such as Spectrum palm
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup mini-marshmallows (look for allergy-safe brand)
A Note on Coconut
Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
If gluten is not a concern, you can use an equivalent amount of all-purpose flour in place of the brown rice flour.
Instructions for Hot Chocolate Cookies
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, starch, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the avocado, oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to your mixing bowl, and blend until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover and place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough by the rounded tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheet, and flatten them slightly, to about 1/2-inch thickness. Bake them for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and gently press three marshmallows into the center of each cookie.
- Return the cookies to the oven and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, before removing them to wire racks to cool completely.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.