Scrumptious Pumpkin Pie
Chef Simon created this scrumptious version of his pumpkin pie for those who use wheat flour and are not on a gluten-free diet. It’s otherwise allergy-friendly, and easy to make.
If you require or prefer his gluten-free version of this pumpkin pie, you’ll find it here.
Makes: 8-10 servings
Free of: top allergens, except gluten
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup mixed egg replacer or 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup dairy-free plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup dairy-free whipping cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Pie Crust (makes two crusts)
This version contains wheat. (See this version for a gluten-free crust.)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks or 2 tbsp egg replacer
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, diced
- Pinch of salt
- Ice water
Instructions for Pumpkin Pie
- For crusts, place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add shortening. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Continue to pulse adding 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time, until smooth dough forms.
- Remove dough. Divide in half and form each half into a disk. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Once chilled, roll one dough disk out to 1/4-inch thickness and lay into pie plate, trim edges.
- For filling, pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until filling is set. Remove from oven. Allow to cool before serving.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.