Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
Who doesn’t love pumpkin pie? Chef Simon’s tasty version is made with an easy gluten-free pie crust and without top allergens. If you’re not avoiding gluten, we also have this version of the recipe, with a crust that uses wheat flour.
Makes: 8-10 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie
- 1½ cups pumpkin purée
- 3 eggs or 1/3 cup mixed egg replacer
- 1/2 cup plain dairy-free yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free whipping cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, diced
- 2 tbsp egg replacer or 1 egg
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of salt
Instructions for GF Pumpkin Pie
- For crust, combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix together with fingers until dough forms.
- Place dough between two rice-floured sheets of wax paper. Roll pastry out to the size of your pie shell. Remove top layer of paper and turn pastry into pie shell. Press into shell firmly and trim or crimp edges.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine all ingredients for filling in a large bowl and mix well. Pour mixture into prepared gluten-free pie crust.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until filling is set. Remove from oven. Let the pie cool before serving.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.