Gluten-Free Raspberry Tarts
Makes: 8-10 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1‚Öì cup (320 mL) all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1‚ÅÑ3 cup (85 mL) fine cane sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp xanthum gum
- 1‚ÅÑ3 cup (85 mL) vegetable oil
- 1‚ÅÑ3 cup (85 mL) cold water
- 3 pints fresh raspberries
- 1‚ÅÑ4 cup (60 mL) tapioca flour
- 1‚ÅÑ4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 1‚ÅÑ2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2 cups (475 mL) rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
This recipe requires two 7-inch tart pans.
- For pastry, place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine thoroughly. Drizzle oil slowly into bowl, stirring continuously with a fork, until mixture comes together in pea-sized pieces.
- Add cold water one tablespoon at a time until dough forms a ball. Divide into two halves, form into two disks and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Remove dough from fridge. Place each disk between two sheets of parchment paper and roll each out to roughly an 8-inch circle.
- Peel off parchment paper and gently place dough into each tart pan, pressing gently into bottom and sides of pan, then trim excess dough. Pierce bottom of crusts with a fork multiple times.
- Bake tart crusts for 12-15 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- For filling, in a medium saucepan, combine tapioca flour, cornstarch and sugar. Add half of the rice milk and cook over medium heat until dry ingredients have dissolved.
- Add remaining milk, vanilla and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Spread 1 tbsp of raspberry jam over bottom of each prepared tart shell.
- Add filling on top of the jam and spread evenly.
- Top filling with fresh raspberries and dust lightly with powdered sugar if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate until just before serving.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes