Allergy-Friendly Blueberry Compote
This Blueberry Compote is packed with antioxidants, vitamins C, A and E and magnesium. But health benefits aside, it is sublimely delicious. Just perfect for when blueberries are in season.
For adults, take it to the next level with the quarter cup of creme de cassis. But for kids, subbing water will also still be wonderful. This dessert is an easy, healthful close to a dinner. Photo: Chris Gonzaga
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 cups (475 mL) fresh blueberries, washed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) creme de cassis [Optional. Substitute: water]
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Fresh mint leaves
This compote can be made up to two days in advance and stored in the fridge.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, creme de cassis (if using) and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce by about half.
- Reduce to a simmer, adding blueberries, lemon juice and zest.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes.
- Set aside and cool.
- Serve over no-fat, plain dairy-free yogurt. Garnish with mint leaves.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.