Allergy-Friendly Black Bean Burritos
Makes: 6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 6 10-inch tortillas (look for allergen-free and gluten-free brands)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 14 oz (398 mL) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (475 mL) cooked rice
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh cilantro
- 2 cups (475 mL) grated cheddar-style shreds (e.g. Daiya brand) or grated cheddar (if no dairy allergy)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350¬∫ F.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Sauté onions 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, corn, beans and rice. Stir and remove from heat.
- Put tortillas on cookie sheet, warm in oven for 5 minutes. Then remove from oven and lay out all six on work surface. Spoon equivalent amount of bean mixture onto center of each tortilla.
- Top with tomato, avocado, cilantro and ‘cheesy’ shreds. Fold in two horizontal sides of each tortilla over the filling, then roll up from bottom to form burrito.
- Cut into two to serve, and garnish with green onion.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes