Allergy-Friendly Mediterranean Cobb Salad
Inspired by healthful Mediterranean cuisine, we give the classic cobb salad a makeover – and the results are simply sublime.
If you’re vegetarian, skip the grilled chicken and roast an additional 19 oz can’s worth of chickpeas. Then double the amount of oil and seasonings used with the initial can of chickpeas. This will make a wonderful meatless meal.
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Ingredients for Cobb Salad
- 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp onion powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved and quartered
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, drained
- 1 1/4 tsp dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup marinated artichoke heart quarters from jar, drained
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 yellow pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped
To make it a wonderful meatless meal, skip the grilled chicken and roast an additional 19 oz can's worth of chickpeas.
Double the amount of oil and seasonings used with the initial can.
Instructions for Cobb Salad
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour rinsed chickpeas into a medium bowl, pat dry with paper towel. Toss chickpeas with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, and the pepper.
- Spread chickpeas out on a baking sheet and roast in oven about 45 minutes until crisp, stirring halfway through roasting. Leave on pan to cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes with cucumber, olives, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon oregano, olive oil and vinegar in a medium bowl. Let sit for 20 minutes. Drain liquid and reserve, this will be the dressing.
- Drizzle chicken with remaining 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoons of salt, onion powder and oregano. Place thighs flat on barbecue or grill pan over medium heat and cook, with lid closed, 7-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove to cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- To assemble salad, arrange chickpeas, chicken, tomato mixture, artichoke hearts, baby spinach and yellow pepper in equal rows on a platter. Or divide salad’s components evenly among 4 plates. Serve with reserved dressing.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.