Kids and Food Allergies
- 1 in 13 children under the age of 18 has a food allergy1.
- Food allergies are the most common trigger for anaphylaxis in this age group2.
- Up to 18% of children with food allergies have reactions at school2. (Most aren’t anaphylaxis.)
- 25% of kids who have serious allergic reactions were not previously diagnosed2.
- 9,500 children were admitted to U.S. hospitals for food-allergic reactions between 2004 and 2006, over three times the number admitted between 1998 and 20003.
1. Pediatrics, “The Prevalence, Severity, and Distribution of Childhood Food Allergy in the United States,” June 2011
2. Pediatrics, “Management of Food Allergy in the School Setting,” December 2010.
3. CDC/NCHS, “National Health Interview Survey,” October 2008.
© Copyright AGW Media Inc.