Salt and Pepper Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries are delicious and easy. I recommend soaking the cut fries before you bake, though. It’s worth a slight wait, since soaking helps the fries to retain their tenderness.
Makes: 6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 1/2 lbs (1.15 kg) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick sticks
- 3 tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
Soaking the potatoes helps to retain inside tenderness.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl and cover with water. Let sit 45 minutes. (See Recipe Tips)
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets or line with parchment pepper.
- Drain sweet potatoes and thoroughly pat dry. Place on baking sheets. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle on sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss to evenly coat. Spread sweet potatoes to avoid touching.
- Bake 25 minutes. Flip and bake 10-20 minutes, until browned around edges. Check bottoms to ensure they don’t burn. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes