Hearty Minestrone Soup
Makes: 6-8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz pancetta, finely diced
- 2 cups (475 mL) sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 of one Savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1 28 oz (798 mL) can of diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 quarts (3 L) vegetable stock (Look for allergen-friendly, GF brands)
- 1 14 oz (398 mL) can of black (or other) beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked gluten-free or regular elbow pasta
- salt and pepper
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat Add pancetta and cook 2-4 minutes, stirring. Then mix in onion, carrots and celery and cook a further 4-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic, cabbage, tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Cook a further 2 minutes. Pour in stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Add beans, spinach and pasta. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer until pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls. Serve soup with warm gluten-free bread.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.