Grilled Chicken Thighs with Sweet Onion and Pepper Salsa
Grilled vegetables elevate the flavors of this spicy salsa, creating a crowning touch for the sublimely seasoned chicken. If your family prefers milder salsa, see the Recipe Tips.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 banana pepper (See Recipe Tips)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Prefer to use chicken breast? Replace thighs with 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts that have been sliced lengthwise into 1 1/2-inch-wide strips. Continue with recipe as directed.
The salsa can be customized to your preference. For reduced heat, use half the banana pepper. For no heat, omit banana pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix cornstarch with salt, coriander, garlic powder, black pepper and lemon juice. Whisk in oil, and set aside.
- Unroll each thigh to flatten and place in marinade. Stir to evenly coat. Cover and place in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Place chicken thighs on barbecue or grill pan over medium heat and cook for 7-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, place onion rounds and banana pepper on grill and cook for about 15 minutes or until charred and soft, turning occasionally. When cool enough to handle, dice onion and place in small bowl.
- Remove skin and seeds from banana pepper, dice and add to onion. Stir in red pepper and remaining ingredients.
- Serve salsa alongside or spooned over chicken.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.