Gluten-Free Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
There’s nothing like the sweet scent of pumpkin bread wafting from the kitchen. These loaves can be baked in pretty, oven-safe paper pans to make presentation a cinch. If the bread won’t be eaten the same day, use only a thick drizzle of the icing (or it will soak in). Or simply omit.
Makes: 4 mini loafs
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 1/3 cups (320 mL) brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) potato starch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) grapeseed; rice bran or canola oil
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease 4 mini loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, starches, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In a large bowl, blend sugar, pumpkin, oil, maple syrup, juice and vanilla with a hand mixer. Add flour mixture and briefly mix until smooth. The batter will be somewhat thick. Stir in cranberries
- Divide batter among prepared pans, smoothing out tops (they will rise, but keep shape). Bake 45-55 minutes, until firm to touch and bread pulls slightly away from pan sides. A toothpick inserted into a loaf may yield a few small crumbs.
- Let loaves cool 10 minutes in pan. remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
Vanilla Spice Icing Option:
Sift 1 1/2 cup powdered confectioner’s sugar into a medium bowl. Whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened dairy-free milk alternative, 1 tablespoon dairy-free soy-free buttery spread, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and pinch of salt. Whisk in additional milk alternative, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until desire drizzly consistency is reached. When loaves are completely cool, place on serving platter and drizzle with icing.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes