Gluten-Free Cranberry and Apple Pie
Makes: 8-10 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
This is lovely Gluten-Free Cranberry and Apple Pie is a favorite. For those not avoiding gluten, see the crust variation using wheat flour here.
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 2 cups (475 mL) brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) allergy-friendly vegetable shortening, diced
- 2 tbsp of egg replacer or 1 egg
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups (725 mL) apples, peeled, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh cranberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp minute tapioca
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) cold dairy-free margarine (e.g. Earth Balance) or butter, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice flour
- 1 tbsp zest of one orange
- For crust, combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix together with fingers until dough forms.
- Place dough between two rice-floured sheets of wax paper. Roll pastry out to the size of your pie shell. Remove top layer of paper and turn pastry into pie shell. Press into shell firmly and trim or crimp edges.
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F. For the filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl, then pour into pie shell.
- To make the topping, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with fingertips until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Spread topping over fruit filling and bake 35-40 minutes, until topping and crust are golden.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.