Curry Grilled Chicken & Noodle Salad
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Curry Grilled Chicken
- 2 lbs (900 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) fresh basil, chopped
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) allergy-friendly vegetable oil
- 1 8 oz package (250 g) rice vermicelli
- 1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) coriander leaves, packed
- 1 ⁄2 cup (125 mL) mint leaves
- 1 red pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp umeboshi vinegar* [Substitution: same amount of rice wine vinegar]
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chili sauce (medium thickness)
- 1 ⁄2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
*Vinegar derived from a Japanese plum; available in health food stores and online.
- Combine curry powder, honey, chili powder, garlic, basil and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and marinate for 45 minutes.
- Place rice noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for 8-10 minutes or until soft. Drain well and set aside.
- Pre-heat barbecue on high. Grill marinated chicken, turning once, 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove to a plate and tent with foil. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Cut chicken into 1 ⁄ 2-inch cubes. Add chicken (and any juices), onion and red pepper to noodles. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper.
- Put salad onto serving dish, garnish with mint and coriander and serve.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes