Allergy-Friendly Chicken, Quinoa and Spinach Soup
There’s nothing more satisfying than soup on a chilly evening. Our version features chicken, quinoa and spinach and is gluten-free and allergy-friendly.
Makes: 6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 quarts allergy-friendly chicken broth
- 2 each bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 8 oz chicken breast, skinless and boneless
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 cup yellow or white onions, finely diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 6 oz fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped (see Recipe Note)
- 1/2 cup loosley packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh mint, leaves removed and chopped
- 4 cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Cut spinach, cilantro, and mint at the last minute to prevent from turning black.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme, garlic, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken breasts. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from saucepan and set aside to cool. Strain the broth into a container and reserve, discarding herbs and garlic.
- When chicken is cool, shred with a fork and set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sweat for 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and jalapeño and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in reserved broth and bring to a boil. Add quinoa, celery, and carrots. Return to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- Uncover, then add shredded chicken, spinach, mint and cilantro. Simmer uncovered an additional 5 minutes, until spinach is slightly wilted.
- Ladle soup into 4 bowls. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes