Alisa’s Easy Dairy-Free ‘Cheesy’ Sauce
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) unsweetened milk alternative (of choice), plus additional as needed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp comstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (or additional sweet paprika)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Those of us living dairy-free have many more options with the advent of tasty store-bought alternative cheese shreds. Just employ a light hand on pizza, such as my ‘Cheesy’ Pepperoni Pizza with Roasted Tomato Sauce.
You need that light hand because dairy-free cheese can overwhelm if used in excess. Melting ability may also vary. Check your pizza at least 5 minutes before it is fully cooked, and if the cheese alternative hasn’t budged, turn up to broil for 2-5 minutes and keep a watchful eye.
For a make-at-home, dairy-free cheese sauce, enjoy the following tasty recipe.
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Place all ingredients, except pepper, in a blender and purée until smooth. Pour into saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes as it bubbles, whisking continuously.
- Remove from heat immediately and season to taste with pepper. The sauce will be relatively thick. If you prefer a drizzle, thin with additional milk alternative.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.