All kids love Halloween. But as a candy-focused celebration, trick-or-treating with food allergies can indeed be a tricky business. Fortunately, food allergy blogger Megan Lavin is here to help – with another video from her Megan’s Minute series for Allergic Living.
As the mom of four kids, two of whom have food allergies, Megan has loads of experience with keeping Halloween both reaction-free – and fun.
In the video, she walks through wonderful tips to help you and your allergy superheroes safely navigate Halloween on Oct. 31.
Covered in the Video:
For those who prefer to keep it food-free, how to find local homes taking part in the Teal Pumpkin Project (which involves handing out toys and trinkets instead of candy).
Then for those who will go Candy Trick-or-Treating (or do both):
- How to prepare your kids in advance.
- How to avoid unsafe treat ‘sampling’ on the route.
- Megan’s method to keep a close eye on what kids are taking as treats.
- Reasons you might allow some non-safe treats in the loot bag.
- Vital safety measures: from epinephrine to the anaphylaxis emergency plan.
- The parent’s positive attitude, and ways to get Halloween fun going, and keep it going.
- At home: sorting loot into safe and unsafe piles, in a way that avoids disappointment.
- Candy swap options: from trades to the arrival of the Switch Witch (who leaves a toy in place of candy).
One morsel of Megan’s advice: “Anything without an individual wrapper, or brand name that we can verify is automatically assumed it is unsafe.”
Megan Lavin is the creator of the Allergy Awesomeness blog, which features outstanding Top-8 free recipes and articles. Follow her on Instagram and Facebook.
More videos from Megan:
Allergy Mom’s Advice: How to Hire a Babysitter for Food-Allergic Kids
Food Allergy Mom’s Advice On: Creating a School 504 Plan
Food Allergy Mom’s Advice on Soccer, Snacks and Allergy Safety
Allergy Mom’s Take: Oral Food Challenges Are Worth the Stress
Other Halloween Resources:
Allergic Living’s Allergy-Friendly Halloween Candy & Treats List 2021
Teal Halloween Food-Free Treats & Decorating Guide for 2021
Recipe: Top 9-Free Teal Pumpkin Chocolate Cake