Food allergy tragedy has struck again, this time in North Carolina, and once again involving a young person.
Morgan Elizabeth Crutchfield, 17, of Staley, N.C., died on Oct. 5, 2015, of an allergic reaction, according to an obituary on the local Liberty Newspaper website. It’s not yet known how the reaction occurred or if epinephrine was administered, although some comments on Facebook from those who knew the teenager suggest she had a peanut allergy.
Morgan’s obituary said she enjoyed “singing, taking pictures and riding four wheelers at her grandparents’ home” is survived by her mother, father, brother, and several grandparents and great-grandparents. The girl, the obituary also noted, “was a social butterfly who never met a stranger and touched the hearts and lives of many people.”
Morgan’s death follows two other deaths from allergic reactions among young people in the last month. On Sept. 18, Andrea Mariano, 18, who was only in her second day of college at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, died from fatal anaphylaxis. Then, on Sept. 21 in Littleton, Colorado, Simon Katz, a 16-year-old student of Chatfield High School attending a homecoming event at his school, succumbed to anaphylaxis after eating a snack that contained peanuts.