Top 8-Free Spring Vegetable Soup
Let’s keep things easy with a combination of canned and fresh ingredients. You can even use thawed-out frozen vegetables in a pinch. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (see Tip)
- 6 cups allergy-friendly vegetable broth
- 2 cups (about 1 lb) small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas (optional)
- 1 can (15 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Can’t use wine? Substitute 1/4 cup lemon juice plus 1/4 cup additional vegetable broth.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add wine and cook until nearly evaporated. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add potatoes and carrots and simmer for 8 minutes. Skim off any foam.
- Add peas, artichokes and beans and simmer for 4 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Stir in spinach, mint and parsley; cook for 1 minute. Ladle out soup.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.