Shiitake & Bean Power Salad
- 4 cups (950 mL) cooked brown rice
- 1 can each, Borlotti, pinto and Cannellini beans*, drained and rinsed OR 1 ½ cups cooked dry beans (Pre-soak according to package directions.)
- 1 cup (250 mL) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) cucumber, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard [Look for gluten-free brands]
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeds and skin removed
- 1 jalepeño pepper, halved, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 green onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp each, salt and pepper
*It's fine to substitute other beans of your liking. Beans come in a wide variety of healthy choices.
This hearty salad is packed with soluble fiber, protein, iron, B vitamins, folate and more.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
1. Combine all salad ingredients.
2. For dressing, place all ingredients into a blender. Blend on high for 30-40 seconds.
3. Pour dressing over salad, toss. (This salad can be made up to an hour in advance.)
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes