Braised Pork Loin with Apples and Pumpkin
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- 2-pound (1 kg) pork loin roast, de-boned and tied
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp allspice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 apples, peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 cups (475 mL) diced pumpkin
- 2 cups (475 mL) chicken stock (look for allergen-free brand)
- 1 796 mL (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
Instructions for Braised Pork Loin
- Pat the pork roast dry with paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, garlic, allspice and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Rub pork roast with the mixture and chill up to 4 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork on all sides, then set it aside.
- Add onion, garlic cloves, apples and pumpkin. Saute 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, and return the roast to Dutch oven.
- Cover, place in oven, and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove roasts to cutting board and rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve with vegetable mixture and sauce.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.