Free of: All top allergens and gluten-free
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8, rinsed, patted dry
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 can (398 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken stock [Look for allergen-free brands]
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine [For sulphite allergy, substitute: 1 cup stock]
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine cut-up chicken with ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander and cayenne. Toss together well, cover and marinade in fridge for 2-4 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350º F. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Sauté the chicken for 2-4 minutes on both sides until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a casserole dish that’s oven-proof.
- In the same large pan, sauté rutabaga, carrots and parsnips for 4 minutes. Then add to chicken.
- Next add chickpeas, stock, wine, salt and pepper to the casserole. Put lid on the dish and cook in the oven for 90 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over couscous or herbed rice.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
See Simon’s: Apple Crisp
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe or order a back issue, click here.